Several US companies are complicit and profit from the continued occupation of Palestinian territory including Hewlett Packard which manufactures and supplies the biometric identification technologies that limit Palestinian movement and identifies them as targets for other forms of discrimination. Hewlett Packard is the largest IT supplier to the Israeli military and is profiting from the oppression of the Palestinian people. Here are five things you and your Meeting can do to put pressure on Hewlett Packard to stop profiting from human rights abuses.
1. Educate your community about HP’s connection to the Israeli military occupation (link here)
2. Sign the petition to HP (link to petition)
3. Introduce a Minute in your Monthly Meeting. (Sample Minute available here)
4. Look at your investment portfolio and divest from your HP shares.
5. Join in Holiday actions to bring attention to the HP boycott. (Stay tuned for suggestions for alternative carols and actions)
Over many years, Quakers have worked to support the development of lasting peace with justice in Israel Palestine. In the past few years several monthly meetings and yearly meetings have issued minutes of support for boycott and divestment as a nonviolent approach to advocate for change. Ann Arbor Meeting, Swannanoa Valley Meeting, Illinois Yearly Meeting to name just a few have expressed concern and actively advocated for peace and there is a growing energy and movement emerging among Friends. Q-PIN (The Quaker Palestine Israel Network) was founded in the Fall of 2013 to support the growth of this movement of Friends, to educate about boycott, divestment, and sanctions as a nonviolent approach, and to work together across Quaker meetings and churches and with the interfaith movement for greater impact.